Ladies with straight hair think they are missing out because of their lack of curls. And they are right. The girlies with the curlies do have something that their straight-haired friends don’t have. What do they have? Frustrations! If you have curls, you know what I mean! You never know which way the curls will go. If you want them to go a particular direction, don’t expect them to cooperate. No need to ask Siri whether it’s going to rain. Just a glance at your curls will predict the weather for you.
What can a girl do to tame that curly mane?
Try one of these proven tricks:
- Don’t brush it dry. Brushing stretches and breaks the hair which contributes to its frizzability. Instead, to get rid of tangles, you can wet your fingers and gently run them through your hair. Or you can spritz the dry hair until it is wet and run a wide-toothed comb through it. Better yet, keep a wide-toothed comb in the shower to comb through when it’s soaking wet.
- Strengthen the hair to protect it from damage. Protein in hair products is crucial for keeping hair strong. But don’t go overboard on products. Experiment to find out how much product is just enough for you. Healthy plant-based protein in your diet helps strengthen your hair, too.
- Don’t shampoo your hair too often since shampoo strips natural oils away. You can even swap out some shampoo time and replace it with just conditioner.
- Use natural oils to moisturize the hair. Curly hair needs proper moisture so it can be curly and not frizzy. Choose a natural oil treatment instead of a silicon-based one. Silicon-based ones sit on top of the hair whereas natural oils truly get soaked in.
- Let the curls keep the moisture they have by limiting the heat that is used. Blow drying is best done with a diffuser. While stepping out of the shower, place your hair in an old t-shirt instead of a thirsty towel.
- If the curls are really driving you wild, go straight! It’s okay! Give yourself a break from taming the beast!
- Curl your curls. Yes, you read that correctly. Use a curling iron to tell your curls exactly where to go.
Ready for something new?
If you have run out of ideas on how to tame your curly hair or are just tired of going it alone, make an appointment at The Hairports Wash and Blow Dry Bar. Choose a destination style and we will have your curls tamed in no time.