Preparing for a job interview can be nerve-racking. Will they like you? Will the interview be awkward? What questions will they ask? What should you wear?
Other graduates may go into a job interview nonchalantly thinking that their resume will speak for them, so there is no need to spend time preparing for the interview. In reality, it’s you and not your resume that will give a lasting impression.
Whether you are anxious or not, being mindful of your physical poise and appearance can go a long way in communicating to your potential employer that you are the right person for the job.
Here are some style tips for preparing for an interview:
- Show off your smile. Smiling shows you are a cheerful, cooperative person who is engaged in the people around her. Who wouldn’t want to work with a happy person?
- A suit (pant suit or skirt suit) shows you are a professional who takes the interview (and the job) seriously. Even if the people in the workplace are not required to wear a suit, it’s the best move for the first impression.
- Keep your clothing modest. No cleavage. Skirts no shorter than 3 inches above the knee. You want people to remember you and not your body. This is not the beach!
- Keep your nails neat. If you paint your nails, don’t go crazy on the color.
- Wear shoes in a current style that are closed-toe.
- Make sure your hair is well-groomed and styled, but not so crazy or elegant that it is distracting.
- Properly applied make-up helps you look awake, alert, and pulled together.
Paying attention to your style for an interview is crucial, but not something you need to do alone! Ask a trusted friend for feedback on what you have planned to wear. Make an appointment at The Hairports Wash and Blow Dry Bar to get your hair styled. BONUS: for all graduates who come in for a wash and blow dry, we will give a complimentary make-up lesson so they can look fabulous for their interview! Book your appointment today. We look forward to cheering you on at the start of your career searching journey!