“Beach hair, don’t care!” A fun, catchy phrase, but is it true? Probably not.
If you love the sun and ocean or spending time in the pool, you know they all can wreak havoc on your lovely locks and, let’s face it…you do care!
There are ways to prevent damage and keep your hair healthy throughout the summer season.
Here are 4 moisture-robbing culprits and what you can do to protect your hair with minimum effort:
- Sun Exposure – UVA and UVB rays can damage the hair cuticle (the outer layer of the hair strand). Dry, brittle, frizzy hair along with split ends and discoloration are sure signs of damage.
- Solution – Use a salon-quality shampoo and rinse-out conditioner, then apply a leave-in conditioner. This will coat the hair to seal in moisture and defend against the damaging elements of the sun. You could also make a fashion statement by wearing a hat to keep your scalp from burning or apply sunscreen and switch the part in your hair to avoid exposure at the same spot.
- Chlorine and salt water – These 2 elements can cause dry and itchy scalp, plus chlorine can affect the color of your hair, especially if it’s color-treated.
- Solution – To help prevent this from happening, wet your hair before going into the pool or ocean since wet hair will absorb less chlorine or salt than if it is dry (think of a sponge). Afterward, rinse your hair thoroughly to remove chemicals. Another option – wear a swim cap!
- Heat styling – Take a break from the heat! The more damaged your hair is from the heat of the sun, the less heat you should apply from your styling tools.
- Solution – Use a medium or cool setting on your blow dryer and styling tools. If your hair doesn’t hold your style for very long, you are clearly using too much heat.
- Over-washing – washing your already dry hair can further strip strands of healthy natural oils.
- Solution – If possible, shampoo your hair only once or twice a week and opt for a dry shampoo in between. Another idea…have your hair washed, conditioned and professionally blown out to keep your hair looking great for days (or even a week). Click HERE to see how Jen Powell, Owner of Hairports Wash and Blow Dry Bar did just that!
For additional protection and repair, apply a hair mask loaded with vitamins and emollients that coat hair and close the cuticle. Also, look for hair care products that incorporate natural ingredients such as soy protein, egg lecithin, coconut or safflower oil, vitamin B5, and botanicals like chamomile or golden seal just to name a few.
Summertime is the perfect season to have your hair pampered and styled at Hairports Wash and Blow Dry Bar.
At Hairports, they take the guesswork out of wondering how to best treat your moisture-deprived, sun-damaged locks. Your hair will be shampooed, conditioned, and styled using Ecru New York Cosmetic Hair Care Products which are formulated to strengthen and improve the integrity of your hair and scalp.
Along with the invigorating wash and condition, your professional blow-out will last for days after your visit and eliminate the need to wash, dry, and over-style your hair on a daily basis.